Last weekend, we went to Tanjung Balau beach to enjoy a starry night and more important, to watch the Perseids meteor shooting stars!
The night sky was clear and full of stars before 9pm. It was beautiful. But from then on, the sky was covered by clouds, well, til the next morning. I guess we will wait for the next meteor rain in November.
We had a great BBQ though. :)
Things To Do
Star/Meteor Shower Gazing - the beach has little light pollution at night. All you need is a bit of luck.
Swimming - Bring your swim suit to public beach. There is a swimming pool at Pelangi Balau resort if you stay there.
BBQ - Bring your own food and BBQ gears to public beach, or the beach at jetty. Or you can pay for BBQ package/site provided by resorts.
Play Kites - Bring your kites to the large grass field at public beach.
Photographing - Go to public beach during sunset, wake up for sunrise. Check out the rocks at the jetty beach.
Fishermen Museum - there is a fishermen museum at public beach. Free admission.
There are 2 budget resorts at the jetty, 10-minute walk from public beach.
- Pelangi Balau Resort has a swimming pool and cafe. We stayed here because of its cheap Ramadan promotion rate, but the room is dusty, they should have done the housekeeping.
- Bayu Balau Beach Resort is a new budget resort next to Pelangi Balau Resort, recently took over the previous chalet facility.
GPS Location: 1.615205,104.25755
View Tanjung Balau Beach - Directions in a larger map
How to get there?
- Head southeast on Senai-Desaru Highway towards Desaru.
- Exit at Penawar toll (check toll fares).
- Go straight, follow the signboard to “Tanjung Balau” or “Pelangi Balau Resort”.
- Turn left after pass by Pelangi Balau Resort.
- Arriving at Tanjung Balau Beach.
Coming from Singapore?
- Ramadan Promotion - Ramadan (Muslim’s fasting month) is a good season to visit. Look for resorts that offer promotion rates. This year (August 2012), Pelangi Balau Resort offer MYR 80 (50% off) for Standard Room (without breakfast).
- Eat during Ramadan - It can be tricky to find food in Penawar town during fasting month. Bring your own food (what we did :), or eat seafood at Pengerang (30-minute driving distance from Desaru).
- BBQ at Public Beach - to avoid extra charges from your resort. The jetty beach is a good spot for campfire and BBQ, and safer since it’s nearer to the resort.
- Bring Torch Light - the beach is really dark after sunset.
More funs in Desaru!
More to explore in Desaru: Ostrich Farm, Fruit Farm, Crocodile Farm, Kota Johor Lama, Pengerang. Stay tune :)